Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Spoonful of Sugar

Simply stated, I like chocolate and flavored coffees. A lot.
For this post, I dared myself to come up with an unexpected way to enjoy a healthier portion of flavor to coffee that was still satisfactory to my taste buds. 
First, I did some research. Check this out.


This absolute delight is a product of The Chocolate Company that began in Germany. They have over 75 flavors of these hotchocspoons. As you have probably already guessed, these spoons are to be dipped into hot milk to make a delicious gourmet cup of hot chocolate. Read more here.

Then there was this.....

This gave me hope that I could do something with this. This came from a blog: Sprinkle Bakes.
After coming across recipe after recipe, I shut down my lap top and decided to get to work. I've worked with chocolate before so I knew what to expect. My goal was just have fun with it and make a spoon that could be dipped into my coffee that contained a satisfactory but not overly indulgent amount of chocolate. However, I wanted it to look and feel like that messy chocolate spoon of icing that kids love sneaking out of the kitchen. With no recipe to follow, I went to a delicious chocolate shoppe in downtown Melbourne to pick up the goods. 

I picked up some milk chocolate and some dark chocolate, and some wax paper from Target. 
Here's what I did. (I apologize for the lack of  pics.)

I melted 1 square of dark chocolate with 2 squares of milk chocolate in the microwave. There's a trick to it though. For this amount of chocolate, heat it up for about 30 seconds at a time. Heat for 30 seconds and stir, then repeat the process. If the chocolate looks anything less than creamy, then add a small amount of butter. This is when fat works for us. The butter helps the chocolate to regain it's smooth texture. 

After that I grabbed my spoon and dipped it straight into a jar of Nutella. Oh yea, I was going to get the most out of my spoonful of sugar! I didn't go too crazy with it though. I didn't scoop the Nutella. I just dipped it straight down and pulled it straight back up....twice. I swirled the spoon into my melted chocolate and sat it on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. I put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes, and voila! 


I could not wait to brew a cup of coffee to give this a try, and it was good! There was no cream or sugar in my coffee, and this didn't add sweetness as much as it did flavor. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but the best was yet to come. 

Today, I tried one all by it's lonesome. No coffee or milk. It was so much better that way! The chocolate on the outside was a very nice solid texture, and when that broke to reveal the creamy Nutella....I was in heaven! 

Next time, I plan to take a smaller amount of Nutella and mix it with little bits and pieces of this amazing crisp flat bread before I swirl it in chocolate. 


Talk about a tasty surprise! It's not a good idea to have a whole lot of these, but it makes a great rare treat. Who needs chocolate bars when you have spoons? It's chocolate indulgence without the excess.





P.S. Don't forget to sign up for the virtual 10k. You can walk it, jog it, bike it, or run it. There will be prizes and you don't have to be the fastest to win! See more information in my previous post. 








No comments:

Post a Comment