Monday, January 31, 2011

Beautiful (cauli) Flower

Last week's asparagus experiment went well, so I figured it was a good idea to try another new veggie this week. I decided on a simple and pretty little flower. Cauliflower.

I have heard about cauliflower being a good substitute for potatoes. Even though I cringe at the thought of cauliflower, it was obvious that it couldn't be but so bad....right?

Mashed potatoes. Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? No recipe research needed this time. Cauliflower puree was a no-brainer. 


I cooked up these little florets in about 1/4 cup of chicken broth and about 2 tablespoons of butter. Then  I added a bit of garlic parsley seasoning. Here comes the fun part. I put these bad boys in the blender until they were nicely pureed. Then it was back to the stove top. I added some milk to the mixture and some additional seasonings.
Here is the end result. 


Honestly speaking, I thought the puree was fantastic as I was cooking it. However, it was a completely different when I took a large fork full of the puree during dinner. When I did, it was no bueno. 
Yup, I said it. 
No good. 
The seasoning was fantastic, but it still tasted like cauliflower. It was still cauliflower. After force feeding myself several mouthful, I gave up.
As you know from the asparagus adventure, the true test lies in my husband's opinion. His statement was, "Nice try". Yeah, he's not much of a cauliflower fan either. 
To sum it up, if you like cauliflower you simply must try this recipe.
Let's finish this up on a happy note. 

Cauliflower may not please everyone's taste buds, but is oh-so good for everybody. Check this out. 
"Cauliflower contains allicin, which can improve heart health and reduce the risk of strokes, and selenium, a chemical that works well with Vitamin C to strengthen the immune system. Cauliflower can also help to maintain a healthy cholesterol level."

Thank you www.oohoi.com . I couldn't have said it better myself!
  

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I like them, i eat them like you would broccoli, never as a puree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I really wish that I could say the same. Cauliflower is very nutritious. A cup of cauliflower has 35% of your daily of Calcium too which is excellent.

    ReplyDelete