Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Afparagus Asparagus Paragus

This is in continuation of my last post: "Asparagus. What Rhymes with Asparagus?" If you haven't read it, you may want to do that now.

Okay...moving on. Armed with the new found knowledge of the health benefits involved in eating asparagus, I decided to make some tonight.

Shirley Jones Mitchell shared with me the following asparagus recipe:
"a little evoo in the pan. snap off the bottoms of the asparagus. cut into 2 inch pieces. saute' in olive oil till bright green and crisp tender. top w/zest of one lemon and fresh lemon juice, kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. (and just a tsp of butter makes the sauce especially yummy)"


I combined her recipe with Paula Deen's Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic recipe (my #2 pick from my last post) to come up with an absolutely tasty side dish. By the way, Shirley was right about the butter. I used a couple squirts of my butter spray, and it was so so good! 


Check out these pics of my asparagus in the making. 


I have to admit that the aroma coming from the asparagus, even while it was only marinating, was spectacular. 


I used my George Foreman grill to cook these puppies to perfection. 


Then I had to decide whether or not I was going to partake in the ground turkey and bow tie pasta dish that I was making for my honey. In the end, I decided to try the meat sauce on top of the asparagus. It may sound weird, but it looked pretty good and tasted even better.  See for yourself. 


Overall, I have to say that my asparagus cooking adventure was a success! I feel much more motivated to eat asparagus knowing what it's doing for me, and much more comfortable with my ability to cook this veggie after finding these recipes. (By the way, with the sprinkled fat free mozzarella cheese this dish is about 6 WW points.)


Just wait until you see the dessert that I ate after this! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment